To establish minimum standards of behavior for all members of the Lesley University community.
This policy applies to all members of the Lesley University community, including faculty, adjunct faculty, staff, students, alumni/ae, vendors, contractors, consultants, guests, and visitors. This policy applies to any activity related to Lesley University, either on or off campus, and to any off-campus conduct that may have an effect on the Lesley University community.
Lesley University respects the dignity of every individual and expects members of the Lesley University community to:
- Conduct themselves in a respectful and professional manner.
- Conduct themselves in a manner compatible with the University’s mission as an educational institution.
- Refrain from behavior that substantially disrupts the educational and working environment at the University.
- Refrain from illegal activity, and understand that the University may take action regardless of the outcome of any criminal investigation or prosecution.
- Understand that conduct, occurring either on or off campus, that adversely affects or has the potential to adversely affect, the University or members of the University community, may violate the Community Standards of Conduct.
- Refrain from injuring, threatening to injure, or attempting to injure another person, whether in person, through electronic or digital communications, or otherwise. This includes physical action, non-physical action, intimidation, and threats.
- Refrain from damaging or threatening to damage property.
- Avoid any activity that poses a significant risk to the health or safety of any member of the University’s community or a member of the public.
- Comply with University policies and procedures. Examples of University policies include:
- Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Violence Policy
- Unequal Consensual Relationship Policy
- Student Alcohol and Illegal Drug Use Policy
- Acceptable Use of Technology Policy
It is the obligation of the members of the Lesley University community to report violations of these Community Standards of Conduct to one of the people listed below. Any reported violation will be promptly investigated.
Investigation and Sanctions
The University will investigate all good faith reports of violations of these Community Standards of Conduct. Reports of discrimination, harassment, and sexual violence will be investigated pursuant to the Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual Violence Policy and the Discrimination and Harassment Resolution Procedures. The University’s investigations and sanctions may proceed even if the persons involved are on leave from or not currently engaged with the University.
Depending on the circumstances, the University may take immediate, interim action pending the conclusion of an investigation. The University may immediately remove anyone from the campus or any University-sponsored event if the person’s behavior is disrupting any classroom or educational environment, work environment, or any University-sponsored event, is threatening to the health or safety of any person, or may damage property. The University, at its discretion, may also remove someone from campus or prohibit someone from attending a University-sponsored event during the course of an investigation. In the event of alleged unlawful behavior, or as deemed necessary in any emergency situation, the University may notify the Lesley University Office of Public Safety and the appropriate law enforcement agency.
The person investigating a reported violation may find that a single significant incident, a pattern of less significant behavior, or a combination of the two, violate the Community Standards of Conduct. The investigator applies a preponderance of the evidence standard and applies a reasonable person standard to determine whether a violation of the Community Standards of Conduct has occurred. The decision of the investigator is final.
The University may suspend, dismiss, or otherwise discipline any member of the Lesley University community for violations of the Community Standards of Conduct. Dismissal may occur even on a first offense, depending on its severity.
Report Suspected Violations
Report suspected violations of these Community Standards of Conduct to:
Dr. Nathaniel G. Mays
Dean of Student Life and Academic Development
29 Everett Street
Cambridge MA 02138
You may also contact Lesley Public Safety at:
Doble Campus/Main Number: 617-349-8888
Brattle Campus: 617-871-6029
Porter Campus: 617-349-8390
You may also choose to contact local law enforcement by calling 911.
In the case of an emergency, please CALL THE POLICE at 911.