Financial Aid Policies

Changes in your enrollment or failure to make progress toward earning your degree can put your financial aid at risk.

Get familiar with these 3 U.S. Department of Education regulations so you can maintain your financial aid eligibility while studying at Lesley.

Contact Lesley’s Financial Aid office if you have any questions.

  • 1. Satisfactory Academic Progress

    Students receiving financial aid need to work toward fulfilling their degree requirements by earning credits and maintaining positive grades.

    Students are eligible for financial aid through their first 180 attempted credits of their 120-credit degree program.

    Each June, we review all students to make sure they’re eligible for federal, state, and Lesley funding for the next academic year.

    To meet these federal guidelines, Lesley University students need to maintain academic progress as defined in their program’s course catalogue:

    College of Art and Design Undergraduate Students

    • Minimum GPA (Less than 30 credits attempted): 2.0
    • Minimum GPA (30 or greater credits attempted): 2.3
    • Minimum Completion: 75% of Attempted Credits

    College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and Adult Learning Division Students

    • Minimum GPA: 2.0
    • Minimum Completion: 75% of Attempted Credits

    Online Management Students

    • Minimum GPA: 2.0
    • Minimum Completion: 75% of Attempted Credits

    Graduate Students

    • Minimum GPA: 3.0
    • Minimum Completion: 75% of Attempted Credits

    Graduate Students in Pass/Fail Programs (MFA and Individually Designed)

    • Minimum Completion: 75% of Attempted Credits

    Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal

    Students who are not making satisfactory academic progress, and have unusual circumstances, can submit an appeal.

    Pick up an Appeal Form from Lesley’s Financial Aid office. You’ll need to provide supporting documentation with your form.

    Appeals will not be approved more than one time during your enrollment at Lesley University.

  • 2. Withdrawals

    Return of Financial Aid Funds for Withdrawn Students

    Students who have received financial aid and then completely withdraw from Lesley University may have their financial aid award adjusted.

    Federal and state regulations and policy mandate how we—Lesley’s Financial Aid office— calculate this adjustment. We calculate the amount of financial aid that has to be returned to the federal government and other agencies, and the amount that can be retained to pay Lesley charges.

    If you’re considering withdrawing, contact Lesley’s Financial Aid office immediately.

    Date of Withdrawal

    The date the student withdraws affects the calculation regarding the return of Title IV funds.

    Dates include:

    • The date the student began Lesley University's withdrawal process
    • The date the student officially notified the institution of intent to withdraw
    • The student's last date of attendance at a documented academically related activity
    • The midpoint of the enrollment period for a student who leaves without notifying the institution (an unofficial withdrawal).

    Title IV funds include:

    • Federal Pell Grant
    • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
    • Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG)
    • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
    • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
    • Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
    • Federal Perkins Loan
    • Federal Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grants

    Federal Title IV aid and all other aid is earned when a student is attending Lesley University. The percentage of aid earned is determined by dividing the number of days a student was enrolled by the number of days in the semester, up to the 60 percent point.

    Return of Title IV funds is no longer necessary after that point. If the student withdraws from all courses after the 60% point in the semester, Title IV aid is viewed as 100 percent earned.

    However, if a student completely withdraws before the 60 percent point, the student may owe back part of their financial aid. This happens if we determine the student has received an amount larger than the earned amount.

    The refund policy for state financial aid is the same as the federal policy. Students can request the worksheet we use to make this calculation.

    Order of Return

    In accordance with federal regulations, financial aid funds are returned and allocated in this order:

    1. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
    2. Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
    3. Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
    4. Federal Pell Grant
    5. Federal SEOG Program
    6. Other Title IV programs
    7. Other state, private, and institutional aid
    8. Any refund due the student

    Lesley University will also return any funds necessary to Title IV programs upon completing the calculation.

    The student is responsible for repaying, to the Title IV or state program, any funds that were disbursed directly to them. This happens when the student was determined to be ineligible for the Return of Title IV Funds Calculation.

    The procedures and policies listed above supersede those published previously and are subject to change.

  • 3. Failure to Receive a Passing Grade

    When a student does not pass any classes for a completed semester or term, we are required by the U.S. government to figure out if:

    • The student stopped attending classes; or
    • The student attended through the end of the academic term and “earned” their failing grades

    We will:

    1. Identify any Title IV financial aid recipients who received all failing grades.
    2. Contact the student and request documentation that shows the failure(s) was academic.

      If the student can’t provide the documentation, it will be considered an “unofficial withdrawal.”

    Next, we’ll start these procedures:

    1. Using the Return to Title IV calculation, we’ll calculate a prorated report to determine if the student received unearned Title IV aid, in a refund or as a payment for tuition, fees, room and board.
    2. We’ll notify the student, in writing, of their revised financial aid award.