Let’s make it official
Submit your deposit by June 1 to join the Class of 2026!

Becoming a Licensed Educator

To teach in a Massachusetts public school, you need to be licensed by the state. Undergraduate and graduate candidates who wish to obtain an Initial or Professional MA educator license must complete a program approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (MA ESE). Those who wish to earn an Initial license must also pass required state tests for that license. See Levels of Massachusetts Educator Licensure for information on what license you need at each stage of your teaching career. 

How We Can Help 

We assist past, current, and prospective students in:

  • Educator licensure and certification information, processes, and strategies.
  • For Initial license candidates, support for the required Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL), including workshops and other resources.
  • Endorsement of Lesley baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate graduates of state-approved educator licensure programs, including teachers, reading specialists, and school guidance and school adjustment counselors.
    For mental health licenses, contact the Departments of Counseling and Psychology and Expressive Therapies, at 617.349.8561 or license@lesley.edu
    Note: All educator licensure-program completers must apply to the Certification Office for an endorsed transcript, which is required by the state for licensure. Endorsement Request Form.
  • Verification of completion of teacher education programs for graduates applying for out-of-state certification.
  • License renewal.

Endorsement Request Form
Applying for an Initial License
Professional License and License Renewal
Reciprocity with Other States
Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure

Contact the Certification Office

Although we try to ensure that certification information is accurate and complete, contents are subject to change.