Have a professional job to fill in your school or organization? Need a babysitter or tutor for your children? Consider hiring a talented Lesley student or alum.
Our Career Resource Center can help you post the position where our students and graduates look for full- and part-time work—on Handshake.
We welcome postings from all employers, and even families needing help in their homes. We’re especially interested in jobs matching our students’ and alumni areas of expertise:
- Art & Design
- Business Management
- Counseling & Expressive Therapies
- Education, Teaching, and Guidance (schools)
- Environment & Science
- Human Services & Nonprofit
- Intercultural/International Relations
If your opening is with a nonprofit community organization, you can also apply to be a Federal Work-Study employer. If approved, you’ll be able to hire students who’ve received Work-Study in their financial aid, for part-time work.
Important note about internships
If your position might be an internship, talk with our internship supervisors first. They’ll help you determine if it’s an appropriate internship for our students before you post it.
- Art & Design Internships: Email Josh Cornillon at email@example.com
- Undergraduate Liberal Arts and Sciences Internships: Email the Internship Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Graduate Internships: Email the Career Resource Center at email@example.com and they’ll put you in touch with the right office.
Post a Job: Organizations
To create a free account: https://app.joinhandshake.com/employer_registrations/new
If you already have a Handshake account, please be sure to add Lesley University to your list of selected institutions.
- The question, “Tell us the type of students you would like to recruit” at the beginning of your profile is optional.
- For the “Industry” question, if you don’t see a good option, select “Other.”
- The best practice is to have ONE account for your employer (school system, company, non-profit) and then multiple contacts from various departments, programs, or schools.
- Be sure to check your “junk” and “clutter” email boxes to see if Handshake emails are landing there.
- If you have questions this guide will be helpful to you. If you review the article and still have a question, you can click at the bottom to complete a ticket for Support at Handshake.
Post a Job: Individuals & Families
To create an account, go to https://app.joinhandshake.com/employer_registrations/new
- The question, "Tell us the type of students you would like to recruit" is not required.
- Because this is a national database, your family name may be taken. Feel free to add your town to your name. For example, "Jones Family - Cambridge."
- For Type of Organization, select "other."
- For the required URL field, feel free to use your LinkedIn account URL or just put “www.nourl.com" (not a working link, just for using in the URL field).
- Be sure to check your "junk" and "clutter" email boxes to see if Handshake emails are landing there.
- For additional assistance, this guide may be helpful to you. If you review the article and still have questions, feel free to use the link at the bottom of the article to contact Handshake Support.
Career Expos and Events
The Career Resource Center hosts several career fairs each year focused on students completing their undergraduate or graduate degrees. Employers who best match students' career interests are invited to the fairs.
Federal Work-Study Program
If you’re a nonprofit organization serving the community, you may be able to hire Lesley students through our Federal Work-Study program. This is a great way for you to get some help, at an affordable cost, while giving a Lesley student a chance to learn and grow.
Lesley’s Federal Work-Study funds cover 75 percent of the student’s wages, and your organization would be responsible for 25 percent.
Complete 3 steps to apply to become an off-campus employer in our Federal Work-Study program:
- Complete our Off-Campus Contract (PDF).
- Fill out a Job Description Form (PDF) for each position you have. If you want to hire a few students for the same job, fill out 1 job description and include the number of students you want to hire.
- Submit an IRS letter showing your agency’s nonprofit status.
Send all forms to our Financial Aid Office:
Financial Aid Office
29 Everett Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Hiring Work-Study Students
After we’ve accepted your application, our Financial Aid Office will post the job on the Lesley University Student Employment Portal. Our students use this site to look for and apply to Work-Study jobs. Review the applications in the system, and decide which students you’d like to hire.
Before any students can begin working for you:
- The students have to fill out a W-4 form and I-9 form and give them to our Financial Aid Office. Once that happens, you’ll be able to hire them in the portal.
- Check with students you hire about the amount of their Federal Work-Study award, so you know the maximum they can earn for the year.