Let’s make it official
Ready to become a Lynx? We are still accepting applications, but housing and class registration are first-come, first-served.

Practical Tips for International Students

Preparing to move to another country for study can be exciting and a bit overwhelming, but we're here to help. Read our tips for a smooth transition into the U.S., including information about health insurance, immunizations, banking, and filing taxes. More detailed information on banking, housing, shopping, and transportation will be included with a new student I-20. Contact iss@lesley.edu with questions.

Health Insurance

Federal and state law requires international students to obtain health insurance issued by a US insurance provider. You can purchase the required insurance from Lesley's insurance carrier.

Watch this helpful video to learn more about the U.S. healthcare and health insurance systems.


Massachusetts requires all university students to have certain immunizations. Get immunization information and the forms you need to provide proof of immunization. Additional information on COVID related immunization requirements will be provided with the I-20.

Bank Accounts

It's important to file "travel reports" with your bank and credit card companies at home to let them know that you will use these accounts to make purchases in the U.S.

Filing Taxes

All F-1 students must file tax returns for each year in the United States. You’ll need to file a tax form for yourself and your dependents even if you did not earn any income during the tax year. Because U.S. tax law is complex, we strongly recommend that you consult with a professional tax specialist.

Suggested Resources -  it is your responsibility to select the one that best suits your situation. Be sure to ask if they specialize in non-resident tax returns.

International Taxpayer Information - Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program offers free tax help to people who make $54,000 or less. Check the VITA center closest to you.

Allston Brighton Community Financial Management Program
Brighton, Brookline, and Allston
Please call ahead at 855-687-7345

Intuit (Turbo Tax)

OnLine Taxes

H&R Block Free

Contact International Student Services