Study Abroad Application Process

If you’re a student in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences or the College of Art and Design, you're eligible to study abroad if you have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 and are in good conduct standing. Students of all majors can study abroad.

What types of programs are available?

Our professors offer travel-study courses to allow you to visit the places you're studying about while earning academic credit. Courses can be used to fulfill major or general education requirements, or they can be applied as electives. Browse upcoming programs in the card row at the bottom of this page, and then email for info on travel dates and costs, etc.

With semester-long exchange programs, your Lesley grants and scholarships remain in place. Check out a list of our partner schools in Asia and Europe.

Our network of providers offers programs at many universities and field-based locations across the globe. Each provider offers multiple programs in a wide range of countries for full semesters, during the summer and shorter terms. Visit their websites to learn more:

What courses can I take abroad?

Most students fulfill free elective and general education credits abroad. In some cases you can take courses that will satisfy major (or minor) requirements. You can even do an internship abroad!

How will I know if credits will transfer to Lesley?

You will complete a Study Abroad Course Approval Form as part of your application package.

How and when do I apply?

  • Email at least a semester before you plan to travel
  • Complete an online preliminary interest form by March 1 for summer and fall programs and October 1 for J-term and spring programs
  • Apply for or renew your passport.
  • Obtain a cost estimate from the Study Abroad Office and meet with the Financial Aid Office to review costs and resources.

How much does it cost to study abroad?

  • Costs vary by region and program length, but a full semester abroad usually costs the same as a semester of campus (if you live in the dorms).
  • Travel costs for faculty-led programs runs from $2,500-4,000
  • Summer programs run between $5,000 and $10,000 depending on length and number of credits

Can I use financial aid to pay for study abroad?

  • In most cases, federal and state aid can be used to pay for study abroad. You should fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as you normally would
  • Once you receive a cost estimate from the Study Abroad Office, you'll correspond with the Financial Aid office to review the estimate and your financial aid options
  • Complete a Study Abroad Contractual Agreement. This is required for your aid to be disbursed for study at an institution outside of Lesley University
  • Your financial aid will be credited to your student account.Use these funds to pay your study abroad bill
  • Visit this page to learn about study abroad scholarship opportunities

Here's a sampling of upcoming travel courses and stories from our students.

Graduate Study Abroad

As a graduate student, you have the opportunity to build international study into your degree program. Depending on your program, you may choose to participate in a creative writing residency in Europe, fieldwork in a developing country, or design independent research outside the United States.

Summer Residency in Wales

As an MFA in Creative Writing student, you can expand your experience at the Dylan Thomas International Summer School in Wales, a 10-day residency offering workshops, lectures, and readings with internationally known writers, as well as visits to cultural sites in the Welsh countryside.

For more information, contact Lisa Lombardi at or visit Dylan Thomas International Summer School.

Internships Abroad

As a student in the International Higher Education master's program, you can choose to complete an internship elective by participating in an overseas internship, where you’ll apply your skills in another culture.

“My time in Haiti studying the role of the arts in health, education, and cross-cultural exchange added much depth to my graduate program.”
Helen Joseph ’15, Expressive Arts Therapy dual degree program
Contact the Study Abroad Office