Let’s make it official
Ready to become a Lynx? We are still accepting applications, but housing and class registration are first-come, first-served.

Financial Aid & Scholarships

A guide for first-year and transfer undergraduate students.


You’ve decided to pursue higher education. Now it’s time to figure out how you’re going to pay for it.

That’s where Lesley’s Financial Aid Office can help. Use our step-by-step guide to apply for government and university funding. Scholarships, grants, Work-Study, and loans. It’s all right here. We’ve even included private sources of funding you can apply for on your own.

Don’t think you qualify for aid? We recommend applying anyway. There are many types of aid you may not have considered, and it’s always a good idea to explore all of your options.

Let’s get started.

International Students

International Students

If you're an international student, you are not eligible for federal or state funding, and so, you won't file the Free Application for Federal and Student Aid (FAFSA).

Learn about scholarships, private loans, and student jobs you're eligible for.

Apply for Federal & State Financial Aid

Apply for Federal & State Financial Aid

Together with you and your family, we're interested in helping build a financial plan that makes a Lesley education affordable.

Your eligibility for federal and state aid—and some types of school-based aid—is determined by your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In addition, there are other non-government aid programs that require the FAFSA.

So that we may further customize your financial package, we encourage you to submit the FAFSA (Lesley code: 002160) to ensure you are reviewed for all institutional, state, and federal funds.

  • Step 1: FAFSA & Deadlines

    Begin your pursuit of all financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

    Submit the FAFSA when you apply for Lesley University admission, and each year to renew.

    Use Lesley University’s school code: 002160

    Need help?

    Preferred Deadlines

    First-Year Undergraduate Students

    • February 15 for Fall start
    • November 1 for Spring start

    Transfer Undergraduate Students

    • March 1 for Fall start
    • November 1 for Spring start

    All Massachusetts Undergraduate Students

    Apply no later than May 1, before the beginning of the award year, to be eligible for the MassGrant. If you miss this deadline, Lesley University grant funding won’t replace forfeited funds.

    Threshold Program

    • February 15
    • Threshold always starts in Fall
  • Step 2: Additional Documents

    Submit additional documents, if asked.

    The U.S. Department of Education randomly selects 30 percent of applicants to complete a verification process.

    We’ll contact you if we need more information. Current students should check their Lesley email account.

    Once you’ve been accepted, log in to your Self-Service account to view your required documents under “My Documents.”

  • Step 3: Financial Aid Award Letter

    Tentative Award Letter

    You’ll get a Tentative Award letter first, which is an early estimate of your financial aid.

    If you filed the FAFSA early with estimated tax information, the aid offered in your tentative award letter may change based on your, and your parents’, actual tax return.

    The closer your estimates are to the actual amounts on the tax return, the closer the tentative award will be to the final award.

    Final Award Letter

    You’ll get an official Financial Aid Award letter that has:

    • Types of aid that make up your package
    • Estimated costs for your education
    • Estimated out-of-pocket costs
    • Financing options

Types of Funding

Types of Funding

There are many types of financial aid that students can use for higher education. Several funding options are based on the results of your FAFSA.

Other types of funding, such as private or school-based scholarships, or alternative loans, are sources you apply for separately.

We’ve included all the types of aid you may be eligible for, and how to apply for each one.

Scholarships & Grants

Scholarships & Grants

Lesley University offers generous merit-based scholarships to incoming students. Scholarships and grants are free money that you don’t pay back, making them a great way to help finance your education.

  • Lesley Merit Scholarships

    You’re automatically considered for a Lesley University merit scholarship when you apply as a first-year or transfer student. You don't need to fill out additional application forms.

    Merit scholarships are awarded based on the strength of your academic record and your demonstrated potential for further success. 

    Your scholarship may be renewed each year, as long as you take at least 12 credits/semester (full-time status), remain a student in good academic standing, and continue to make satisfactory academic progress toward your degree.

    Merit Scholarship Exceptions

    Lesley undergraduate merit scholarships are not available to students who:

    • Are enrolling in a bachelor’s degree completion program through our Adult Learning Division
    • Are participating in the Tuition Exchange Program (TE) or the Council of Independent Colleges Program (CIC), and have been awarded a tuition scholarship through the programs
  • Urban Scholars Initiative (USI)

    50 percent off tuition

    Lesley University has partnered with several community organizations to provide scholarships for students with financial need.

    Through the Urban Scholars Initiative, first-year and transfer undergraduate students from our partner community organizations are eligible for 50 percent off of their Lesley tuition.

    How to Apply

    Eligible high students must have participated in, and be recommended by, one of Lesley’s USI partner organizations. Submit the Free Application for Federal & Student Aid (FAFSA). Get accepted to Lesley University to receive the award.

  • Community Scholarships for First-Year Students

    There are also a few undergraduate scholarships available for students from certain communities or schools.

    Cambridge Rindge & Latin Merit Scholarship
    Full tuition/year for 4 years

    We award up to 2 of these scholarships each year.

    Minimum Criteria

    • Students must be graduating from Massachusetts Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School.
    • Applicants to Lesley's College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, or applicants to both undergraduate schools at Lesley (College of Liberal Arts & Sciences and College of Art & Design) must have a minimum 3.0 academic GPA in a strong college prep curriculum.
    • Applicants applying solely to Lesley's College of Art & Design must have a minimum 3.0 academic GPA in a strong college prep curriculum and an outstanding portfolio.


    How to Apply

    1. The school's principal and guidance team nominate 6 students, in the form of a letter of recommendation.
    2. Students apply to Lesley University by February 15. The school should also send their nomination letters by this date.
    3. The University Scholarship Committee reviews all nominations, then selects and interviews finalists.
    4. We’ll notify finalists of their status after March 1.


    Boston Arts Academy Scholarship
    Full tuition/year for 4 years

    We award 1 of these scholarships each year.

    Minimum Criteria

    • The student must be graduating from the Boston Arts Academy’s Visual Arts program.
    • Applicants applying solely to Lesley's College of Art & Design must have a minimum 3.0 academic GPA in a strong college prep curriculum and an outstanding portfolio.

    How to Apply

    1. Boston Arts Academy nominates up to 4 students for consideration.
    2. Students apply to Lesley University by February 15.
    3. The University Scholarship Committee reviews nominations and interviews finalists. If selected, the students present their portfolio at the interview.
    4. We’ll notify finalists of their status after March 1.


  • Federal Pell Grant
    • A need-based federal grant for first-time bachelor’s degree students.
    • The U.S. Department of Education determines the eligibility criteria.
    • The maximum amount for 2021–2022: $6,495

    How to Apply

    Fill out the FAFSA. If you’re eligible, the Federal Pell Grant will be included in your financial aid award letter.

  • Federal TEACH Grant for Education Students

    Title IV Participation Application

    The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant is federal money that supports students who are studying to become teachers. Specifically, it’s for educators who plan to work in a low-income school and teach a high-need subject area after graduation.

    It was created by the U.S. Department of Education to get the best teachers where they are needed most—helping our nation’s most disadvantaged students to succeed.

    Do you plan to...

    1. Become a “highly-qualified” teacher, as defined by your state?
    2. Teach full-time, in a low-income (Title I) school, for at least 4 years?
    3. Begin this teaching within 8 years of graduating from your teacher licensure program?
    4. Teach in a high-need subject area, as defined by the U.S government or state?

    If you answered yes to all 4 questions, the TEACH Grant may be right for you. Learn more on the TEACH grant website. 


    1. You’re enrolled a TEACH Grant Eligible Academic Program (PDF).
    2. You’re a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
    3. You’re in good standing with the Title IV aid programs, as reported by the National Student Loan Data System.
    4. You satisfy one of these academic qualifications:
      1. Have a cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.25 (on a 4.0 scale) in your most recent academic program prior to enrolling at Lesley University. And, maintain a cumulative 3.25 GPA while enrolled in a TEACH Grant eligible program at Lesley University.

      2. Score above 75th percentile on a national admissions test (Example: SAT/ACT for undergraduates; GRE for graduate students).

      3. Are a current teacher, former teacher, or a retiree in any field. Former teachers must be pursuing high-quality alternative certification in a master's degree program.

    TEACH Grant Application

    Complete this 4-step Teach Grant application process each academic year.

    1. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
    2. Complete and submit a TEACH Grant Intent Form:
      - TEACH Grant Intent Form for 2023-2024 academic year (PDF)
      - TEACH Grant Intent Form for 2024-2025 academic year (PDF)
    3. Sign the U.S. Department of Education’s online TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve.
    4. Complete the U.S. Department of Education’s online TEACH Grant Counseling. Use your FSA ID to complete the counseling. It’s the same ID you used to sign the FAFSA. If you don’t have an FSA ID, or can't remember it, request one from Federal Student Aid.
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill® & Yellow Ribbon Program for Veterans

    Lesley University proudly participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, making it possible for veterans and their dependents to earn a degree.

    The Post-9/11 GI Bill®, developed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, pays full in-state tuition and fees at public schools. For private schools like Lesley, it covers tuition and fees up to a cap each year. You may qualify for tuition benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® if you’ve served at least 90 days on active duty since September 11, 2001.

    The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. It helps close the gap between the amount the Post-9/11 GI Bill® covers and the actual amount for tuition and fees at private institutions. As a participating school, we’ve dedicated funds for the Yellow Ribbon Program that Veterans Affairs matches dollar for dollar.

    You may qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program if you:

    • have been honorably discharged from active duty
    • have been released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list
    • have been released from active duty and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve
    • have been released from active duty for further service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces
    • have been honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days since September 11, 2001

    Your dependents may be eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®

    Questions regarding the Post 9/11 GI Bill® or the Yellow Ribbon Program should be directed, Thomas Graves, Registrar Representative and VA Certifying Official at 617-349-8781 or tgraves@lesley.edu.

    * GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

  • Private Scholarships

    Private scholarships are funds you research and apply for on your own. We’ve compiled a list of places that provide scholarships for undergraduate study.

    Also, check your local high school, library, employer (yours, and your parents’), and clubs to find other funding.

    Lesley University is not responsible for the actions or claims of outside organizations.

    Start your scholarship research here.

  • Scholarships & Your Financial Aid

    You got a private scholarship to help pay for your education. Now you may be wondering how this affects your financial aid package.

    In most cases, private scholarships are added to your existing financial aid, and don’t result in a reduction of the total aid.

    There are a few cases where we might need to make adjustments:

    Need-Based Aid

    Adjusted if the total need-based aid is more than your calculated need (which includes tuition, fees, and living expenses).

    Loans or Federal Work-Study

    Are always reduced before any adjustment to the grant portion of an award.

    Merit-Based Aid

    Adjustment required if the total award is more than the cost of tuition and fees.

  • State Scholarships & Grants

    Lesley University has agreements with grant agencies in MassachusettsPennsylvania, and Vermont. That means funds from those 3 states can be disbursed to our full-time undergraduate students.

    Massachusetts Grants

    Grants for Massachusetts residents.

    How to Apply

    Start by filling out the FAFSA. In addition, most of these grants (except for MassGrant) require that you also apply for them through the Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance.

    Your financial aid award letter may include your eligibility for state grants or scholarships, but the state’s higher education office will notify you of your actual award.


    • A need-based state grant for full-time undergraduate students.
    • To be full-time, you need to take at least 12 credits/semester.
    • Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance notifies students who are eligible, and we (Lesley University) verify that eligibility.
    • We automatically apply the funds to your student account.

    Paraprofessional Teacher Preparation Grant

    Early Childhood Educators Scholarship

    Massachusetts Public Service Grant

    Non-Massachusetts State Grants

    If you live outside of Massachusetts, there may be need-based grants and scholarships available from your state of residence. If you get awarded a need-based non-Massachusetts state grant, your Lesley grant funding may be reduced.

  • Study Abroad Scholarships

    Going abroad? There are a few organizations that provide scholarships. Start your research with this list.

    AIFS Study Abroad
    Awards more than $800,000 in scholarships for students enrolled in AIFS Study Abroad programs.

    Benjamin Gilman International Scholarships
    Offers study abroad scholarships for U.S. students who are Pell Grant recipients.

    Offers need-based grants and merit-based scholarships for students enrolled in CIEE study abroad programs.

    Fund for Education Abroad
    Need-based funding for undergraduate students planning on studying abroad for at least 4 weeks.

Student Employment

Student Employment

Federal Work-Study

Your financial aid award letter will tell you if you’ve received Federal Work-Study funding, and the total amount for the year. This is usually no more than $1,800.  

Find a part-time Work-Study job, then earn your award through the hours you work. Most jobs are on campus in an office, but some are at off-campus locations.

Other Employment

If you don’t get Work-Study funding, you can apply for other part-time jobs on campus through our Lesley Works student employment program. Or, search for an off-campus job through our Career Resource Center.

Search Jobs

Look for Work-Study, Lesley Works, and off-campus employment.

Tuition Discounts

Tuition Discounts

If you earn your bachelor's degree at Lesley, you're eligible for our biggest discount—The Lesley Dividend—where you get 12 free credits toward your Lesley master's degree.

  • Lesley Dividend for Graduate School

    If you earn your bachelor’s degree at Lesley, you’re eligible to get 12 free credits toward your Lesley master’s degree.

    And at $650 to $1,130 credit, that’s a huge tuition savings of $7,800–$13,560.

    The award is applied to your tuition over 2 semesters. You’ll get 6 credits of free tuition in your first semester, and 6 free credits in your last semester of graduate study.

    You can even use the Dividend toward an already-discounted dual bachelor’s and master’s degree program, for an even bigger bargain.

    A student cannot use the Dividend in the following instances:

    • For a certificate or non-degree program
    • When advancing from one Master’s program to a second Master’s program
    • When advancing from one Master’s program to a PhD program
    • In conjunction with another discount or institutional scholarship

    The Dividend for your first 6 credits of study will be applied to your account automatically. To apply the Dividend for your last 6 credits of study, submit a ticket on the Support Hub with your request.




You may be eligible for a few different types of loans. Some federal and state loans are based on the result of your application for federal student aid (FAFSA), and appear on your financial aid award letter if you’re eligible.

Other government loan programs require additional steps to apply for them. And then there are private, non-government loans that you would research and apply for on your own.

For Washington State residents seeking information and resources about student loan repayment or seeking to submit a complaint relating to your student loans or student loan servicer, please visit www.wsac.wa.gov/loan-advocacy or contact the Student Loan Advocate at loanadvocate@wsac.wa.gov.

Here are the different types of loans and how to apply for each one.

  • Federal Direct Loans

    Federal Direct loans are provided by the U.S. Department of Education, at a fixed interest rate, to help you pay for your undergraduate or graduate education. Because they are backed by the U.S. government, the interest rates are lower than private loans.

    How to Apply

    Fill out the FAFSA. Your financial aid award letter will indicate if you’ve received a Federal Direct loan, and how much. You'll need to accept, decline, or revise (reduce) the loan through your Lesley Self-Service account.

    About Federal Direct Loans

    There are 2 types of Direct Loans you could receive—Unsubsidized and Subsidized.

    Unsubsidized Loan

    • For undergraduate and graduate students.
    • The student is responsible for the interest that accrues.
    • You can make voluntary interest payments while in school, or defer interest payments until they enter repayment.

    We recommend you pay the interest when it’s billed each quarter. Otherwise, unpaid interest will be capitalized (added to the principal balance) at the end of the grace period, making the loan more expensive.

    Subsidized Loan

    • A need-based loan for undergraduate students.
    • Interest is subsidized (paid) by U.S. government, up to a set maximum amount, while the student is in school or during grace periods.
    • Interest doesn’t accrue while the student is enrolled at least half-time (taking 6 credits/semester).

    Example: You get a $5,500 Direct Loan, and the maximum amount that can be subsidized is $3,500. That means you’d have a $3,500 subsidized loan and a $2,000 unsubsidized loan. 



    There is a limit on how much you may borrow each academic year. For undergraduates, the limit is based on your dependency status and how many completed undergraduate credits are on your Lesley transcript. There is also a limit on how much federal loan funding you may borrow in total, called the “aggregate."

    Origination Fee

    The U.S Department of Education deducts this fee off the top of the loan before sending funds to Lesley University on your behalf.

    Example: For a $5,000 loan with a 1 percent origination fee ($50), you’d get $4,950 to use toward your education.

    Learn More

    Learn more about Federal Direct Loans, including annual and aggregate limits, interest rates and fees, and terms and conditions.

  • Massachusetts No-Interest Loan (NIL)
    • A zero-interest state-funded loan.
    • For undergraduate students who live in Massachusetts and are attending a post-secondary institution in the state.
    • Repayment begins 6 months after you graduate, leave school, or fall below half-time (taking 6 credits/semester).

    How to Apply

    Fill out the FAFSA. You’ll find out if you’ve received this loan in your financial aid award letter. Then decide if you want to use it.

  • Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

    This is a loan available to parents of dependent, undergraduate students. Borrow funds from the U.S. Department of Education, at a fixed interest rate, to help pay for your son’s or daughter’s college education.

    To be eligible:

    • The parent is the student's biological or adoptive parent, or custodial stepparent.
    • The child is a dependent as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)—under 24 years old, unmarried, and have no legal dependents at the time s/he fills out the FAFSA.
    • The student is enrolled at least half-time (taking 6 or more credits/semester).
    • The parent and dependent child are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens, and aren’t in default of any federal education loans nor owe over-payment on a federal education grant.
    • The parent does not have bad credit.

    How to Apply

    1. The student fill outs the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
    2. The parent applies for the loan online, through the U.S. Department of Education.
    3. If you (the parent) get the loan, and you’re a first-time borrower, you’ll need to sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) online. Use your FSA ID to complete this step.

      If you don’t have an FSA ID, or can't remember it, request one from Federal Student Aid.


    You can borrow up to the total cost of your child’s education, minus other financial aid she or he has received.

    Origination Fee

    The U.S. Department of Education deducts this fee from the loan before they send the funds to Lesley University on your behalf.

    Example: For a $10,000 loan with a 5 percent origination fee ($500), you’d get $9,500 to use toward your education.

    Learn More

    Learn more about the Parent PLUS Loan, including interest rates, fees, repayment, and terms and conditions.

  • Private Education Loans

    Private (alternative) education loans are monies you borrow from a private lender, not from the federal government. Private loans can cover the difference between the cost of your education and the funds you received from other sources.

    Use these resources to determine the best loan product for you or your family.

    Private Loan Options

    Several private loan products are available to students and parents; however, you should research scholarships, grants, work programs, and Federal Direct Loans before borrowing from a private lender.

    Lenders are on our Private Loan List only because they have notified Lesley University that they offer private educational loans for the current academic year.

    Research your state's lending agency, local bank, or credit union.

    If you decide to use a lender or loan product not listed on the Private Loan list, notify Lesley’s Financial Aid Office so we can certify your loan of choice.


    Here are some tips for when you research private education loans.

    Know Your FICO Score

    • Lenders use your FICO score to determine your credit risk.
    • The higher the FICO score, the better (lower) the interest rate you'll get on the loan.
    • Estimate your FICO score. Use the Bankrate Free FICO Score Estimator calculator.
    • Obtain your actual FICO score for a fee.
    • FICO scores are a snapshot of your credit risk, and can change.

    Improve Your FICO Score

    • Get a free credit report and check it for errors. Fix mistakes before applying for a private loan.
    • Pay bills on time, settle past due accounts, pay down debt, and reduce the percentage of your total credit card balances to below 30 percent of total available credit.
    • Don't cancel a credit card to boost your score. This can cause an immediate, short-term negative effect.
    • Keep your oldest credit cards. The longer credit history you have, the better your FICO score.

    Research Options and Rates

    • Determine the lenders you are interested in before completing your first credit application.
    • The approval process for a private loan results in a hard inquiry on your credit report.
    • Having many hard inquiries may reduce your credit score.
    • Multiple applications within 30 days will only result in 1 hard inquiry. Apply to several lenders to find the most competitive rates in this 30-day window.
    • If you apply for more than one private loan, let Lesley's Financial Aid Office know which one you want. We’ll certify the first loan application we receive, and may cancel additional requests.

    Questions to Ask About the Private Loan or Lender

    Consider these factors to determine the best private loan product for you.

    Annual Percentage Rate (APR)

    • The principal is the amount you borrowed that remains unpaid, before interest and fees.
    • The APR is the annual cost of your loan, including the effect of any fees or charges in addition to interest.
    • Interest rates may be fixed or variable. A fixed interest rate remains the same throughout the entire loan term. Variable (adjustable) interest rates are subject to change. The rates could increase during the life of the loan, making the loan more expensive.
    • Find out if the lender uses PRIME or LIBOR to determine their interest rates. Lenders using LIBOR typically use the 3-month rate.
    • Learn more about how PRIME and LIBOR rates work.

    Interest Capitalization

    When borrowing money, you’ll have to pay interest; it's just a matter of when.

    • Find out when the interest on your loan is capitalized, meaning, when it is added to the principal balance. Ask if this changes during repayment.
    • If you defer paying your loan while in school, you are deferring the principal, interest, and fees. Interest still accrues on the loan while you are in school, and then is added to the principal for you to pay back at the Annual Percentage Rate (APR). This means you will be paying interest on the interest you "borrowed."
    • Making interest-only payments on an alternative loan while in school will drastically reduce the total cost of the loan.

    Calculate the Total Cost of the Loan

    Ask the lender about interest rates and fees, and other questions such as:

    • Are there introductory rates that increase over time?
    • Is there an origination fee deducted from the loan before the funds are sent to Lesley University?
    • Are there any fees added after the entire loan has been disbursed?

    Loan Limits

    Does the loan have an annual or aggregate limit? Ask yourself if you can afford to borrow within the limits.


    • Does repayment begin immediately or after you graduate or leave school?
    • How long is the repayment period? Are there choices, such as 10 years versus 20 years?
    • Are you rewarded for making on-time payments? Or, are there penalties for repaying the loan early?

    Lender Stability

    • How long has the organization been providing student loans?
    • Are they offering alternative loans through the next 4 years?
    • Does the lender sell its loans? If so, how often? To whom? And with what consequences?

    Customer Service

    What services does the lender offer to borrowers?

  • Federal Student Loan Repayment

    https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/repayment/plansIf you borrowed funds from the U.S. government for your education, there are a few ways you can pay back that loan. Federal student loans are managed by a loan servicer. Your loan servicer will help you navigate your repayment options.

    Income-Driven Repayment Plans

    Income-driven repayment plans are meant to be affordable. Your monthly payments are 10 or 15 percent of your discretionary income. This figure is calculated based on your total income, household size, and U.S. poverty guidelines.

    Each year, you’ll need to send income and household size information to your loan servicer so you can remain on this type of repayment plan.

    If your income decreases or your household size increases at any time, contact your loan servicer to get a new monthly payment amount. You don’t have to wait for the annual review.

    Learn more about income-driven repayment plans.

    Other Repayment Plans

    There are also a few repayment options—Standard, Graduated, and Extended— that aren’t based on your income, and are available to all borrowers.

    Learn more about your other options.

    Next Steps

    Work with your loan servicer to see if you qualify for an income-driven repayment plan, or to figure out which plan is best for your situation.

    Check the National Student Loan Data System for contact information for all federal loan servicers.


  • Federal Student Loan Forgiveness

    If you borrow funds from the U.S. government for your education, you may be eligible for a loan forgiveness program. This means you won’t have to pay back all of the money you borrowed.

    There are loan forgiveness programs for teachers, for public service workers, and individuals on an income-driven repayment plan.

    Teacher Loan Forgiveness

    Receive forgiveness for up to $17,500 of your Federal Subsidized or Unsubsidized student loans.

    You may be eligible if you:

    • Teach full-time; and
    • Have taught for 5 full and consecutive years in schools or educational agencies that serve low-income families.

    Learn more about Teacher Loan Forgiveness.

    Public Service Loan Forgiveness

    Receive forgiveness for the balance due on your Federal Direct student loans.

    You may be eligible if:

    • You’ve made 120 qualifying payments (10 years) on loans under certain repayment plans; and
    • You made the payments while employed full-time by a qualifying public service employer, such as a government agency or not-for-profit organization.

    The repayment plans that qualify are income-driven­, meaning your monthly payment is based on your income, household size, and the federal poverty guidelines for your area.

    Learn more about Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

    Income-Driven Repayment Loan Forgiveness

    If you don’t qualify for public service loan forgiveness, you may have another option.

    You could have your federal student loan balances forgiven if:

    • You’re on a repayment plan based on your income and household size; and
    • You’ve made payments on time for 20 or 25 years.

    Whether you qualify after 20 or 25 years depends on when you became a first-time borrower. You may need to pay income tax on the amount forgiven.

    Learn more about Income-Driven Repayment.


    You may qualify for the Teacher Loan Forgiveness and the Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

    However, the 5 years of employment for the Teacher Loan Forgiveness does not count toward the 10 years of employment for Public Service program.

    Next Steps

    Work with your loan servicer to see if you’re eligible for a loan forgiveness program.

    Check the National Student Loan Data System for contact information for all federal loan servicers.

  • Lender Code of Conduct

    Lesley University does not recommend any particular loan product.

    Review our Lender Code of Conduct for legal information about lending relationships.

Payment Plans

Payment Plans

Divide your tuition and fees into smaller, monthly payments through a flexible, interest-free payment plan.

You can set up a payment plan with our Student Accounts Office. Learn more about payment plans.

Enrollment & Next Steps

Enrollment & Next Steps

Secure your funding and pay your bill.

You’ve applied for federal and state aid, scholarships, and private funding. And you have an idea of your financial picture for the upcoming year.

If you decided to enroll at Lesley, or you are a returning student, you’ll need to complete these steps to secure your funding and to pay your bill.

  • Step 1: Accept your award, when applicable.

    Here’s what to do if you see any of these types of funding in your financial aid award letter.

    Federal Direct Loans

    Complete 3 steps so we can credit the loan to your student account.  

    1. Accept or decline the loan in full, or revise (decrease) the loan amount through your Self-Service account within 30 days.

      If you revise the loan amount, click “Accept” to finish the step. We’ll notify the U.S. Department of Education so they can certify the loan. If you don’t accept the loan within 30 days, it will get canceled.
    2. Sign a Master Promissory Note (PIN) electronically. This is an agreement between you and the U.S. government. It states you understand your responsibilities as Federal Direct Loan borrower. Once you sign, it’s good for 10 years.
    3. Complete the U.S. Department of Education’s online Direct Loan Entrance Counseling. This takes 20–30 minutes. 

    Federal Perkins Loan or Massachusetts No Interest Loan

    If you have received either of these loans, we’ll email you a promissory note to sign and information about required online loan counseling. Complete the steps by the deadline to secure the funds.

    Scholarships & Grants

    No need to do anything. We’ll apply these funds toward your tuition and fees. 

    Federal Work-Study

    No need to do anything. These funds will be paid to you for the hours you work in a Federal Work-Study job.

  • Step 2: Report private or other funding you've received.

    Send notification letters from private scholarships to Lesley's Financial Aid Office.

    Let us know if you have tuition reimbursement, alternative (non-government) loans, or state grant money from a state other than Massachusetts.

    Your total resources can’t exceed the budgeted costs for your education, including tuition, fees, and living expenses. Financial aid from outside resources can be used to reduce your need for federal assistance or loans.

  • Step 3: Register for classes.

    Register for classes and independent studies before the end of the add/drop period. This includes submitting consortium agreements (PDF) if you’re taking classes outside of Lesley.

    Changes in your enrollment can affect the amount of aid you receive, and when you receive it. If your plans change, notify Lesley's Financial Aid Office immediately by submitting a ticket on the Support Hub.

    We’ll review your registered credits to confirm your enrollment. We’ll email your Lesley address if your financial aid is at risk.

    Online and Bachelor’s Degree Completion Students

    Use this online form to submit your enrollment changes.

  • Step 4: Get your bill, and finalize your financial plan.

    If you’ll have a balance due after your financial aid is applied to your tuition, fees, and other charges, you’ll need to find a way to pay it.

    For example, set up a payment plan or get a loan.

    Contact our Financial Aid Office by submitting a ticket on the Support Hub for support as you finalize your financial plan.

    Set up a payment plan, or pay your bill.

  • Step 5: We credit the funds to your student account.

    This process is called “disbursement.” We’ll disburse your financial aid funds once:

    • We’ve confirmed your registration
    • You’ve begun classes, and
    • You’ve completed the steps for accepting certain awards

    When will my financial aid be applied to my bill?

    The date you get your funding depends on your program.

    Review disbursement dates.

    If you’re awarded aid after your disbursement date has passed, we’ll credit the funds once you’ve completed the requirements.


    You may have a credit balance if your billed tuition and fees are less than the amount of financial aid applied to your student account.

    In this case, we’ll refund you within 14 days of the disbursement date. Use the refund for living expenses, transportation, or personal expenses you incur as a student.

Financial Aid Policies

Financial Aid Policies

Lesley University is required to follow all federal and state regulations.

Review the Financial Aid policies that could affect your ability to keep your federal and state financial aid while studying at Lesley.

Net Price Calculator

Net Price Calculator

If you’re considering Lesley University, use our Net Price Calculator to get an early estimate of your total annual cost and potential financial aid, including scholarships, loans, and other kinds of funding.

The results do not represent any guarantee of cost or your actual financial aid award, but it is a great place to start. Lesley’s Financial Aid Office determines your actual financial aid eligibility, once you submit your official application for federal student aid (FAFSA).

Current students and prospective transfer students should contact our Financial Aid Office by submitting a ticket on the Support Hub for information instead of using this calculator.

Start the Net Price Calculator.

Contact Student Financial Services

Contact Us

Gainful Employment