Join us for Fall Open House - Oct. 15 and Nov. 18
This event will feature programming for our undergraduate, graduate, and Threshold programs. A vibrant campus community and access to endless opportunities—Lesley has it all. It's where student cohorts become lifelong catalysts, solving for today's complexities with full hearts and open minds.
What do we do?

Advising and informing current, prospective, and past undergraduate and graduate educator licensure candidates with license requirements, Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) preparation, endorsement for Massachusetts educator licenses, and more.

When are we available?

Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Meetings are available by appointment from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily by phone, Zoom, or Microsoft Teams, depending on the preference of the individual. Please email for more information.

Why would you contact us?

Questions regarding:

  • Initial or Professional Licensure
  • Guidance on transferring a MA license to other states
  • Information on Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education policies and guidelines
  • Support for MTELs
How do you contact us?
What are the requirements for Educator Licensure in Massachusetts?

To teach in a public school in Massachusetts, you will need an educator license, and within a specified amount of time will need to renew or reach the next level of licensure to keep teaching. If you are wondering how this works, see the listed categories for an explanation of each license level, including when you need each license, what the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (MA ESE) requires, the ways you can get it, and for how long it is valid, for more information please visit our licensure page.

Where can I find more information on MTELs?

If you are a MA Initial licensure candidates, you need to take the MTELS. Find out what tests you need to take, when to take them, and how to prepare for them, to learn more about the MTELs visit our MTELs page.

How do I apply for MA educator licensure?

Visit our licensure page, for steps to applying for your Initial Massachusetts license, once you're enrolled in a program.

Will my MA teaching license transfer to other states?

Lesley undergraduate and graduate alumni who are endorsed for an Initial license in Massachusetts can apply for comparable positions in US states and territories that have signed the NASDTEC (National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification) Interstate Agreement 2020-2025 (PDF). The reciprocity agreement means that licensure programs are recognized across states. A Provisional license is not recognized by other states. For more information, visit our Out-of-State licensure page.