Clockwise from top left: Roberto Mighty MFA '11, Molly Sarson '13, Stephanie McKay M.Ed. '20, Cindy House MFA '17 with author David Sedaris, Sophie Lyons '20, Michael Talbot '18, Patrick Hume MFA '12, Alice Smith '21
For many of us, 2021 was another roller coaster of a year. But throughout the ups and downs, our Lesley graduates continued to astound us with their artistry, compassion, insight and creativity. Here are just a few of the most widely read alumni stories that we covered in 2021. We’re excited to see what our graduates accomplish in 2022 and look forward to sharing more alumni stories with you.
1. Using yoga therapy to promote recovery, August 3, 2021
Yoga became a source of healing for 2020 graduate Sophie Lyons as she recovered from an eating disorder. Now she's using her studies in Holistic Psychology and Wellness to explore ways that practicing yoga can support people in recovery.
2. Cindy House on David Sedaris, kicking heroin, and why she wants to send everyone a cupcake, August 11, 2021
MFA in Creative Writing alumna Cindy House ’17 tells us how a friendship with writer and humorist David Sedaris helped her overcome clinical depression and addiction. Now she’s opening for Sedaris on his national tour and publishing a book of personal essays.
3. Shakespeare clinches ‘Jeopardy!’ win for MFA alum, April 28, 2021
‘Hamlet’ was the lucky answer that helped propel MFA in Creative Writing alum Patrick Hume ’12 to victory on TV quiz show “Jeopardy!” The screenwriter won over $62,000 during a three-day stint on the show.
4. A filmmaker’s work finds a center at the intersection of history and the natural world, February 24, 2021
Filmmaker and MFA in Visual Arts alum Roberto Mighty ’11 lets his passions drive his work, creating film and television projects on Martin Luther King, Jr.’s time in Boston, historic cemeteries, aging, and more.
5. After 20 years, pandemic pushes former student to complete degree, May 5, 2021
Alice Smith ’21 was one semester away from earning her Lesley degree when life got in the way. After two decades as a teacher and childcare provider, she returned to school and received her Lesley diploma.
6. 73-year-old graduate completes bachelor’s degree, May 24, 2021
Pastor Pamela Kelly was Lesley’s most senior 2021 graduate, earning her bachelor’s degree in Holistic Psychology. She looks forward to combining her psychology studies with her pastoral calling.
7. Michael Talbot ’18 takes a hands-on approach to public art, August 18, 2021
The dynamic comic-style work of artist Michael Talbot ’18 livened up the formerly dull wall of an East Somerville pasta shop as part of a neighborhood enhancement project.
8. Three alumnae awarded Creative Entrepreneur Fellowships, February 10, 2021
Lesley M.Ed. alums U-Meleni Mhlaba-Adebo ’03, Stephanie McKay ’20 and Robyn E. Thompson-Duong ’08 received Creative Entrepreneur Fellowships from the Arts and Business Council of Boston.
9. Alumna, staffer Lesley Ells wins prestigious Pickering Fellowship, February 1, 2021
Global Studies alum Lesley Ells ’19 will pursue a career in the U.S. Foreign Service through the competitive fellowship, funded by the U.S. Department of State. “I look forward to representing the rich diversity of the U.S. as a Caribbean-American woman,” she says.
10. In Memoriam, June 22, 2021
The Lesley community mourned the loss of alumna Molly Sarson ’13, who died in June after battling Covid-19. A Business Management major who played on Lesley’s championship women’s softball team, Molly was remembered as a kind and caring friend and teammate. “Mentally, physically and emotionally, she showed up for us day in and day out,” says teammate Jordan Thomas ’16.