Student Jobs

Find a part-time student job on campus through our Federal Work-Study or Lesley Works student employment programs. From tutoring to clerical work to assisting in a lab, you’re likely to find a position that matches your interests.

Or, our Career Resource Center can help you find work off campus. Search the Center’s listings for an office job, temporary project, or other form of employment.

If you’re a graduate or doctoral student, apply for one of our paid graduate assistantships. Help faculty on a specific project for a stipend.

Find and Apply for Jobs

  • Federal Work-Study Jobs

    Federal work-study jobs allow you to earn money through an on-campus or off-campus job. You can use the money you earn for anything you need to—personal expenses, books, tuition, and more.

    Your financial aid letter will note if you’ve been awarded Work-Study funding, and the amount you may earn for the year. The program is available to U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens who have a financial need and have met criteria determined by the U.S. government.

    Once you’ve been awarded Work-Study funding, you’ll need to apply for a job on-campus or at an approved off-campus location. Our Work-Study and Lesley Works portal has a listing of all available jobs each semester with application guidelines.

    Things to know about Work-Study jobs:

    • The US government pays 75 percent of your wages, and Lesley University (or the approved off-campus employer) pays 25 percent.
    • The university sets the hourly rate.
    • You can work up to 20 hours/week when classes are in session and up to 27 hours/week during January or Spring break, until you reach your maximum amount.
    • The maximum amount is $1,800/academic year.
    • You don’t have to earn the full award. But, if you decline the money and don’t show how you replaced the funds, our Financial Aid Office will assume you didn’t need as much aid as you got. Your future financial aid package may be reduced.
    • You may not use the funds for internships for academic credit.
  • Lesley Works Jobs

    If you didn’t receive Federal Work-Study funds, you can apply for part-time jobs on campus through Lesley Works.  International students may be eligible for Lesley Works jobs.

    Things to know about Lesley Works jobs:

    • The Lesley department you work for pays 100 percent of your wages.
    • The university sets the hourly rate.
    • You can work up to 20 hours/week when classes are in session (September to May) and up to 27 hours/week during January or Spring break.
    • There’s no maximum amount you can earn in a year, except for the limit of the department’s budget.
  • Apply for Work-Study & Lesley Works Jobs

    Apply for Work-Study and Lesley Works jobs through our online Student Employment Portal. The application process for both programs is the same.

    Our Financial Aid Office posts positions the Friday before Labor Day. We’ll email your Lesley account about how to apply.

    Fill out these 3 forms and give them to our Financial Aid office before you start working:

    1. W-4 Federal Tax Withholding Form (PDF). Submit a new W-4 each year.
    2. M-4 Massachusetts Tax Withholding Form (PDF). Submit a new M-4 each year.
    3. I-9 Form (PDF) and supporting documentation, as explained on the form. Submit once, as a new student worker. International students submit a new I-9 each year.


    Lesley Works and Federal Work-Study jobs are for the academic year (September to May). If you want to continue working for the department through the summer, talk to your supervisor about the possibility of becoming a temporary employee.


  • Off-Campus Jobs

    Find an off-campus job through our Career Resource Center, for the academic year or the summer. 

    Search for and apply to jobs in the Center’s job listing platform Handshake. This is a different portal than the one you may have used to find Lesley Works and Work-Study jobs.

    Boston-area organizations looking to fill a range of jobs, and families looking for childcare and help in their homes, post positions in Handshake for our students and alumni.

    Apply directly to the organization or family that interests you. Connect with the Career Resource Center for help with résumés and any questions about part time off campus work.

  • Graduate Assistant Program

    Become a graduate assistant to gain skills related to your professional goals. Graduate assistants work with faculty and administrators in research, teaching, programming, and scholarship. U.S. and international students can apply.

    Schedule: Work 10 hours/week, October to May. The assistant and faculty member decide on the hours, usually Monday–Friday.

    Stipend: Varies each year. In 2019, graduate assistants will receive $3,600/academic year, paid in 8 monthly installments of $450.

    Application Deadlines: Usually in the spring for the next academic year.

    Three Types of Graduate Assistantships

    Graduate School of Education Assistantships 2019-20

    This year's projects:

    1: Wonderlab                                    

    Description: Assistant Director for WonderLab. This position will provide support for WonderLab research and administration. Wonderlab is a 21st-century model university lab school, where undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students work alongside faculty to co-construct and implement authentic, engaging, hands-on STEAM activities for children in grades k-8. Your work will include supporting data collection and analysis, overseeing communications including program marketing and registration, family outreach, blog/website, and newsletters. You will collaborate with the director and program director to develop, student and staff schedules, staff training, conference presentations and community outreach.

    Qualifications: Prior WonderLab teacher or experience working with children such as a classroom, afterschool or summer camp, strong writing and communication skills, Interest in STEAM education research, Familiarity and comfort with using google drive and google docs, Excellent organizational skills, good at time lines and record keeping,  Commitment to culturally responsive education and

    2: Improving Professional Learning Opportunities for Practicing Educators   

    Description: The Center for Reading Recovery and Literacy Collaborative seeks a graduate student to assist with efforts to monitor, evaluate, and improve the efficacy and impact of our professional development work. The Center for Reading Recovery and Literacy Collaborative provides an array of professional learning opportunities for hundreds of schools and districts across the country. We offer more than 25 different courses, workshops, and institutes for K-12 teachers related to reading, writing, literacy coaching, interventions, and leadership. The Center is engaged in ongoing efforts to improve our professional learning offerings by gathering systematic data from schools and districts before, during, and after engagement in professional development. The graduate assistant would help guide this critical work by reviewing literature on evaluating professional learning and using that knowledge to create a set of protocols for information gathering that could be used by schools and by the Center’s trainers. The graduate assistant would then work with Center trainers and administrative staff to pilot test and refine the protocols/tools.

    Qualifications: Ability to read and analyze information in scholarly journals, Strong writing skills, Strong communication skills and Attention to detail.

    Graduate School of Arts and Social Sciences Assistantships

    • Open to all students, including low-residency students, who have completed 1 year of graduate study.
    • Projects vary widely, and change each year. Past projects have included an oral history project, research on women leaders, and research on the impact of arts programs on loneliness.
    • To apply: If offered, descriptions and application for the next academic year are posted here in the spring.


  • Work Authorization for International Students

    As an international student holding an F-1 student visa, you have a few options for working while in the United States. Learn more about work authorization for international students.