Be instrumental in accelerating literacy gains for low-achieving students in grades 3–12.
The Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) system, developed by Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell, prepares teachers to provide intensive instruction to small groups of struggling readers and writers. In this training, you'll learn how to use LLI in the intermediate, middle, and upper grades.
You can take this seminar virtually via webinar sessions that are delivered in real-time, or with a group of colleagues from your school or district:
- Real-Time Virtual Learning:
- Days 1-3: July 27-29, 2020
- Days 4-6: October 19-21, 2020
- With Your Colleagues: For a group, by request virtually or in-person
Learn about procedures and rationales for lessons that engage students and improve reading proficiency. Discover ways to help students read increasingly challenging texts. Gain an understanding of the systems and how to use three types of lessons—standard, novel, and test preparation—to support students' development. You'll cover topics such as:
- Assessing and grouping students; using progress monitoring across lessons
- Understanding the odd and even standard lesson framework
- Understanding fiction and nonfiction texts and analyzing text characteristics
- Teaching for vocabulary development, fluency, and understanding
- Teaching for word study and writing about reading
- Using test preparation lessons and engaging students in the novel study lesson sequence
You can take this training for 36 professional development hours, or take it for 3 graduate credits.
Requirements for Participation
To receive a complete Certificate of Attendance, you must attend all 6 days of training. And, you must be able to use the LLI Intermediate Systems (Text Levels L–Z/Red, Gold, Purple, or Teal) with at least one group of 3 students, 5 days a week, for 18 weeks.
Please purchase your LLI System (Red, Gold, Purple, or Teal) from Heinemann Publishers prior to the training.
Real-Time Virtual Learning Option
Jul. 27–29, 2020 & Oct. 19–21, 2020 | 9:00-11:30 am & 1:00-3:30 pm (EST)
Participation during these times is required. We may assign additional work to meet the required professional development hours. After you register, we will send you info about how to access the virtual platform.
Noncredit (36 professional development hours)
3 Graduate Credits (with assignment + fees)
We can deliver this 5-day training virtually or in-person for a group of educators within your district (as COVID-19 social distancing guidelines allow). Take the course for noncredit for 36 professional development hours, or for 3 graduate credits. If you want to earn graduate credit, you'll need to complete an assignment and pay an extra fee. Email email@example.com to register for graduate credit.
- Group size: minimum 20, maximum 35
- Noncredit: $2,100/person + cost of LLI System
- Additional fees for in-person option: Presenter's travel expenses
- School districts in the same area may combine their resources to meet participant minimums for this training. Payment must be on one district's purchase order.
- Inquire about professional development at your school.
Cancellation Deadlines & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing at least two weeks before the first day of training to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel. If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute at any time. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Explore More Offerings
Here are some additional professional learning opportunities you may be interested in.