Learn how to communicate with colleagues and help them with their literacy practices.
Online: October 28–December 22, 2019 (Fall Term II)
To improve literacy in a school, coaches and teacher leaders must work with administrators and teachers to get everyone on the same page. This online course will help you develop communication skills to work with teachers who find change difficult. You'll learn how to use professional resources to better your coaching practice.
You can take this 3-credit online course individually or as part of the 12-credit online Graduate Certificate in Literacy Coaching and Teacher Leadership (program beginning in Fall 2018). It is a required course for this certificate.
You must have access to a school environment to participate and complete the assignments.
- Identify ways in which a healthy, professional learning community for adult learners supports an effective culture for coaching and teacher leadership.
- Examine the coach’s/teacher leader’s partnership with school administrators to support teacher development.
- Help teachers learn how to reflect on the effectiveness of their teaching.
- Design an effective coaching session with a teacher: pre-lesson conference, classroom visit, post-conference/coaching session.
- Discover methods of organizing effective ongoing note taking by setting up coaching notebooks and coaching logs to monitor teacher development for change over time.
- Employ generative coaching to support teacher independence.
- Use language that opens conversation and promotes the analysis of teaching and its effects on learning.
- Develop effective relationships with colleagues by building trust, confidentiality, taking a tentative stance and being a reflective listener and learner.
- Use professional resources effectively.
Cost, Registration, & Cancellation
3 Graduate Credits
- $2,050 ($650/credit + $20 registration fee + $30 technology fee + $50 copyright fee) + required texts
- Use EEDUC 6403.80 to register for graduate credit.
- Review the university's cancellation and refund policies for credit bearing courses.
Other Online Courses
Here are the 3 other online courses that are part of the 12-credit Graduate Certificate in Literacy Coaching and Teacher Leadership.