Train to become a literacy coach and support your colleagues in teaching literacy for grades K-8.
This intensive 10-day training over four months is for literacy coaches, instructional leaders, and teacher leaders who want to better understand their role in schools. We'll support you as you gain expertise in helping teachers with their reading and writing instruction.
You can take this training virtually via webinar sessions that are delivered in real-time, or with a group of colleagues from your school or district:
- Real-Time Virtual Learning Dates:
- Days 1-4: August 10–13, 2020
- Days 5-7: October 14–16, 2020
- Days 8-10: December 2–4, 2020
- With Your Colleagues: For a group, by request virtually or in-person
Develop your partnership with school administrators to support teachers. Gain techniques to help develop coaching sessions for teachers and monitor progress over time. We'll discuss how to use language with teachers that promotes trust and learning. Also, you'll learn how to create a healthy, professional learning community in your school.
You can take this course for noncredit and earn 60 professional development hours, or you could take it for 3 or 6 graduate credits.
- Identify the critical attributes of a healthy, professional learning community for adult learners and how to build it for your school.
- Examine the coach's partnership with school administrators to support teacher development.
- Design an effective coaching session with a teacher: pre-lesson conference, classroom visit, post-conference/coaching session.
- Employ generative coaching to support teacher independence.
- Learn how to use language that opens conversation and promotes trust as well as the analysis of teaching and its effects on learning.
- Use observational tools to sharpen the analysis of the teaching of reading and writing.
- Discover methods of organizing effective ongoing note-taking by setting up coaching notebooks and monitoring teacher development over time.
- Select particular kinds of coaching to meet the needs of specific teachers: intervention, collaborative, and cluster coaching as well as individual coaching.
- Link coaching sessions to professional development to get a shift in teaching.
- Analyze a coaching conversation before and after a lesson with colleagues to get immediate and thoughtful feedback.
Real-Time Virtual Learning Option
Aug. 10-13, Oct. 14-16, & Dec. 2-4, 2020 | 9:00-11:30 am & 1:00-3:30 pm (EST)
Participation during these times is required. We may assign additional work to meet the required professional development hours. After you register, we'll send you info about how to access the virtual platform.
Noncredit (60 professional development hours)
3 or 6 Graduate Credits (with assignment + fees)
We can deliver this training virtually or in-person for a group of educators within your district (as COVID-19 social distancing guidelines allow). Take the course for noncredit for 60 professional development hours, or earn 3 or 6 graduate credits. If you want to earn graduate credit, you'll need to complete an assignment and pay an extra fee. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for graduate credit.
- Group size: minimum 20, maximum 35
- Noncredit: $3,600/person (includes professional texts and materials)
- Credit: 3 credits: $5,590 or 6 credits: $7,540 ($3,600 + $650/credit + $40 registration fee) + required texts and materials
- Additional fees for in-person option: Presenter's travel expenses
- School districts in the same area may combine their resources to meet participant minimums for this training, but payment must be on one district's purchase order.
- Inquire about professional development at your school.
Cancellation Deadlines & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing at least two weeks before the start of the course to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email email@example.com to cancel. If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute at any time. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Registration Deadline & Shipping Policies
The registration portal closes two business days before the first day of training to allow the minimum amount of time to ship training materials.
If you register within the week before the registration portal closes, you may still experience delays in receiving your materials and incur additional fees for expedited shipping.