Expand your expertise in literacy coaching and leadership in your school district.
This 10-day training is designed to help you accomplish two major goals. First, to build a strong understanding of instructional coherence in literacy. Second, to develop the capacity to support and facilitate the continuous professional growth of all literacy educators in your school.
Using The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum, you'll deepen your knowledge of the reading and writing process and change over time in students’ learning. You'll also develop a plan for working with your colleagues in professional learning communities that build teaching expertise in reading, writing, and word-solving.
You can take this 10-day seminar virtually via live webinar sessions, or at your school with a group of colleagues:
- Real-Time Virtual Learning Dates:
- Days 1-5: August 17–21, 2020
- Days 6-10: November 16–20, 2020
- With Your Colleagues: For a group, by request virtually or in-person
You can take this course for noncredit and earn 60 professional development hours, or you could take it for 3 or 6 graduate credits.
- Deepen knowledge of the reading and writing process and change over time in students’ learning using The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum to notice, teach, and expand learners’ competencies
- Observe and assess readers and writers in order to make teaching decisions
- Use a range of texts in a variety of instructional contexts, both in reading and writing
- Utilize knowledge of the nine areas of learning in phonics and word study to support students as word-solvers in reading and writing to support a diverse population of learners
Leadership and Coaching:
- Describe the culture and climate of the current work environment and develop a plan for working with colleagues in the school/district
- Explore the theory and practice behind a model for responsive teaching and create an action plan to implement it within the school/district
- Develop facilitative language to foster engagement and expand learning
- Develop a plan to work with colleagues in professional learning communities that build teaching expertise in reading, writing, and word-solving
Real-Time Virtual Learning Option
Aug. 17-21 & Nov. 16-20, 2020 | 9:00-11:30 am & 1:00-3:30 pm (EST)
Participation during these times is required. We may assign additional work to meet the required professional development hours. After you register, we'll send you info about how to access the virtual platform.
Noncredit (60 professional development hours)
3 or 6 Graduate Credits (with assignment + fees)
We can deliver this 10-day training virtually or in-person for a group of educators within your district (as COVID-19 social distancing guidelines allow). Take the course for noncredit for 60 professional development hours, or earn 3 or 6 graduate credits. If you want to earn graduate credit, you'll need to complete an assignment and pay an extra fee. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for graduate credit.
- Group size: minimum 20, maximum 35 (maximum is TBD for virtual option)
- Noncredit: $3,600/person (includes professional texts and materials)
- Credit: 3 credits: $5,590 or 6 credits: $7,540 ($3,600 + $650/credit + $40 registration fee) + required texts
- Additional fees for in-person option: Presenter's travel expenses
- School districts in the same area may combine their resources to meet participant minimums for this training, but payment must be on one district's purchase order
- Inquire about professional development at your school
Cancellation Deadlines & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing at least two weeks before the first day of training to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email email@example.com to cancel. If you are unable to come to the training, you may send a substitute at any time. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Registration Deadline & Shipping Policies
The registration portal closes two business days before the first day of training to allow the minimum amount of time to ship training materials.
If you register within the week before the registration portal closes, you may still experience delays in receiving your materials and incur additional fees for expedited shipping.