What Every School Leader Needs to Know About Effective Literacy Teaching, Coaching, and Teacher Leadership
Join Irene Fountas and Cindy Downend for a 4-day seminar for school leaders. Learn how to support teachers' literacy instruction in grades K–6. We'll explore how effective teaching, student assessment, coaching, and supervision can improve students' reading and writing.
You can take this seminar on the Lesley University campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts, or at your school with a group:
- On-Campus: July 24–27, 2018
- At Your School: For a group, by request
Develop a foundation in literacy theory, assessment, and instructional practices. Specifically, we'll discuss guided reading, literature study groups, readers' workshop, writers' workshop, guided writing, and interactive writing.
Learn about observational tools you can use to examine classrooms. You'll also analyze videos of teaching to understand best instructional practices, and how to use language that supports teacher development.
You'll earn 25 professional development hours in this seminar.
Hosted by the Lesley University Center for Reading Recovery & Literacy Collaborative
- The Professional Learning Community
- Key Factors in School Change
- The Role of the Literacy Coach or Teacher Leader
- Systematic Observation of Teaching
- The Role of Assessment in Informing and Documenting Student Change
- Documenting and Reporting Student Progress
- Effective Supervision: The Role of Language, Artifacts, Documentation
- Systematic Observation of the Writers' Workshop: Interactive Writing, Guided Writing, Independent Writing
- Building Capacity Within the School: Leadership and Coaching
July 24–27, 2018 | 8:30 am–3:30 pm
For noncredit only.
We can deliver this 4-day training for a group of school administrators in your school or district, or in a neighboring district.
- Group size: 50-100
- $2,250/person (includes all books and materials)
- Additional fees: Presenter's travel expenses
- Inquire about on-site professional development at your school.
Cancellation Deadlines and Refund Policies
If you're taking the School Leaders Seminar on campus, you must cancel in writing by July 10, 2018 to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email email@example.com to cancel.
If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute at any time. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.