What Every School Leader Needs to Know About Effective Literacy Teaching, Coaching, and Teacher Leadership
Join Irene Fountas and Cindy Downend for a 4-day seminar for school leaders. Learn how to support teachers' literacy instruction in grades K–6. We'll explore how effective teaching, student assessment, coaching, and supervision can improve students' reading and writing.
You can take this seminar on the Lesley University campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts, or at your school with a group:
- On-Campus: January 27-28 & March 16-17, 2020
- At Your School: For a group, by request
Develop a foundation in literacy theory, assessment, and instructional practices. Specifically, we'll discuss guided reading, literature study groups, readers' workshop, writers' workshop, guided writing, and interactive writing.
Learn about observational tools you can use to examine classrooms. You'll also analyze videos of teaching to understand best instructional practices, and how to use language that supports teacher development.
You'll earn 25 professional development hours in this seminar.
Hosted by the Lesley University Center for Reading Recovery & Literacy Collaborative
- Common Vision, Common Goals, Common Language
- Fostering a Culture of Teamwork
- Establishing Coherence: Designing Layered Systems for Improving Student Achievement
- A Culture of Continuous Professional Learning
- Understanding Reading, Writing and Language Development as Complex Processes
- Assessment: Measuring What is Essential to Know about Student Reading and Writing Behaviors
- Thinking and Talking About Texts in Interactive Read Aloud
- Understanding Texts, the Readers, and the Design of Shared and Guided Reading
- Independent Reading and Writing About Reading: Developing Students’ Comprehension
- Teaching Reading Minilessons: Making Learning Visible
- Phonics, Spelling and Word Study
- The Writing Process
- Literacy Intervention
- Analysis of the Implementation Journey and School Culture
- The Role of the Instructional Coach and Teacher Leaders
January 27-28 & March 16-17, 2020 | 8:30 am–3:30 pm
Graduate credit is available for this seminar. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
We can deliver this 4-day training for a group of school administrators in your school or district, or in a neighboring district.
- Group size: 50-100
- $2,250/person (includes all books and materials)
- Additional fees: Presenter's travel expenses
- Inquire about on-site professional development at your school.
Cancellation Deadlines & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing two weeks before the start of the seminar to get a refund minus a $50 processing fee. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel. If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute at any time. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Explore More Offerings
Here are some additional professional learning opportunities you may be interested in.