Help struggling readers and writers make sustained and accelerated progress.
The Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) system, developed by Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell, prepares teachers to provide intensive instruction to small groups of struggling readers and writers. In 30-minute daily sessions, teachers use a set of children’s books sorted by graduated difficulty levels to provide effective reading, writing, and word study instruction. In this training, you'll learn how to use LLI for students in grades K–2.
You can take this seminar virtually via webinar sessions that are delivered in real-time, or with a group of colleagues from your school or district:
- Real-Time Virtual Learning Dates:
- Days 1-3: July 27-29, 2020
- Days 4-6: October 19-21, 2020
- With Your Colleagues: For a group, by request virtually or in-person
Gain an understanding of the system and how you can use it to improve students’ literacy and learning. You'll cover topics such as:
- Assessing and grouping students
- Using leveled texts
- Supporting English language learners
- Coding, scoring, and analyzing reading behaviors
- Teaching and reinforcing reading and writing strategies
- Supporting writing development
- Teaching phonemic awareness and phonics
You can take this training for noncredit and earn 36 professional development hours, or take it for 3 graduate credits.
Requirements for Participation
To receive a complete Certificate of Attendance, you must attend all 6 days of training. And, you must be able to use the LLI Primary Systems (Text Levels A–N/Orange, Green, or Blue) with at least one group of 3 students, 5 days a week, for 18 weeks.
Please purchase your LLI System (Orange, Green, or Blue) from Heinemann Publishers prior to the training.
July 27–29 & October 19–21, 2020 | 9:00-11:30 am & 1:00-3:30 pm (EST)
Participation during these times is required. We may assign additional work to meet the required professional development hours. After you register, we'll send you information about how to access the virtual platform.
Noncredit (36 professional development hours)
3 Graduate Credits (with assignment + fees)
We can deliver this 6-day training virtually or in-person for a group of educators within your district (as COVID-19 social distancing guidelines allow). Take the course for noncredit for 36 professional development hours, or for 3 graduate credits. If you want to earn graduate credit, you'll need to complete an assignment and pay an extra fee. Email email@example.com to register for graduate credit.
- Group size: minimum 25, maximum 35
- Noncredit: $2,100/person + required LLI System
- Additional fees for in-person option: Presenter's travel expenses
- School districts in the same geographic area may combine their resources to meet participant minimums for this training. Payment must be on one district's purchase order.
- Inquire about professional development at your school
Cancellation Deadlines & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing at least two weeks before the first day of training to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel. If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute by alerting us at least two weeks before the first day of training. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held and the attendee cannot attend, the participant will be billed for the full amount of the training.
Explore More Offerings
Here are some additional professional learning opportunities you may be interested in.