Make an impact through arts-based community work.
Transform your love of the arts into a career in a nonprofit, hospital, museum, school, or other institution. In this action-oriented program, you'll gain the tools to effect community change through art—and become a better artist at the same time.
Studies show that the arts can boost a local economy and provide vital connections among groups and neighborhoods. Here, you’ll get practical, applicable skills to apply to this growing field.
Learn grant writing, fundraising, networking, advocacy, and arts administration. Explore how to plan and evaluate programs and initiatives. Facilitate social transformation through the arts.
Core courses include arts in community, research, how to turn ideas into action, and exploration of using the arts to enhance learning. You'll also do an internship in a community organization.
Choose one of five specializations, and pursue in-depth knowledge in:
- Arts in Health: incorporate the arts into services and programs that promote health for individuals in various communities and care settings.
- Integrated Arts: explore art, drama, music, poetry, storytelling, and more, to facilitate an integrated arts approach for schools, community organizations, and other environments.
- Multicultural Education: gain a better understanding of diversity in social contexts and work in community settings.
- Theater Studies: develop the skills necessary to facilitate a drama-based approach for school curriculum, community organizations, and other environments.
- Visual Art: learn to facilitate a visual arts-based approach for school curriculum, community organizations, and other environments.
This program is also available as part of an accelerated master's degree for those who are earning their undergraduate degree through the Center for the Adult Learner. Learn more.