Tina is an enthusiastic, collaborative, and experienced educator whose interests in education span from K to 12 as well as from math content to equity. She began her career as a high school math teacher. During her decade in the classroom she taught courses from Pre-Algebra to AP Calculus to diverse groups of students with a variety of learning needs.
As an active member of the online math community, in 2013 she organized the ideas of her Twitter network into the book Nix the Tricks (followed by a second edition in 2015). She has worked with districts to make a shift toward conceptual development and presented at regional and national conferences on nixing tricks in the mathematics classroom.
In 2019, Tina joined the Center for Mathematics Achievement at Lesley University, where she acts as assistant director, providing high-quality professional development, coaching, coursework, and training to educators nationally and internationally.
Tina holds a license in secondary mathematics, is the chair of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) publishing committee, and is a local, regional, and national speaker. In addition, she is endorsed to teach Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) learners. Contact the Center for Mathematics Achievement to work with Tina or one of her team members.
Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Master’s degree in Mathematics for Teaching
- The Best of Math Teacher Blogs, editor and contributing author. Print and eBook. Published March 2016
- Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School NCTM Blog. Series of four blog posts: Playing with Proportions, Internalizing the Order of Operations, Reason Why When You Invert and Multiply, Disappearing Act (Nix Cancel). Published February–March 2015
- Nix the Tricks. Print and eBook, over 23,000 downloads. Published November 2013. Second Edition Published January 2015
- Nix the Tricks; Shifting from Mathemagicians to Mathematicians (WMMP Fall Institute, Keynote Speaker, 2019)
- Equity in the Illustrative Mathematics Curriculum: Diverse Tools for a Diverse Classroom (NCTM Regional 2019)
- Rigor in Proofs (NCTM Annual 2019)
- Unveiling the Magic (NCTM Annual 2019)
- Language of Math (NCTM Annual 2018)
- Nix the Tricks (NCTM Annual 2017)
- Nix the Tricks (DuPage Valley Conference, Keynote Speaker, 2015)