Barbara's courses are enriched by her background as an elementary and middle school reading specialist, literacy coach, adolescent literacy consultant for the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, and director of a district literacy program. As coach and director of literacy she has made a significant contribution to improvement of literacy education through initiatives to introduce teachers and administrators to formative assessments, varied fiction and nonfiction materials, and research-based instructional practices. Her courses reflect her focus on the practical concerns and needs of teachers as they attempt to make a positive impact on the literacy lives of students.
Dr. Steckel is active in various organizations:
- Past president of the Massachusetts Reading Association
- The Massachusetts Association for College and University Reading Educators, President, 2014-2016.
- Research Round Table Coordinator, Massachusetts Association for College and University Reading Educators, Sturbridge, MA, 2014.
- Massachusetts Reading Association, On-line Member Services Committee, 2014.
- Governing Board Member, Mason Pilot School, Roxbury, MA 2013-2016.
- Literacy Researchers Association, Member.
- The International Reading Association, Member.
- Presents sessions on current issues in literacy at the annual conference of the Massachusetts Reading Association, the Greater Boston Council of the International Reading Association, Literacy For All, and The International Reading Association.